Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Selling Yourself


You are on your way to the interview, and you know the question will be coming. It is the most feared question during any job interview. “Can you tell me about yourself?”


This question is vague, open-ended and no one likes to answer it. But, hiring managers and executive recruiters love to ask the questions. Even if you’re not interviewing and you’re out networking in the community you need to be ready to hear it and answer it.

Next time you’re faced with the dreaded, “Tell me about yourself” question try these answers:

1.   “The quotation I live my life by is …”  Proves that personal development is an essential part of your growth plan. Also shows your ability to motivate yourself.

2.   “I can summarize who I am in three words.” Grabs their attention immediately. Demonstrates your ability to be concise, creative and compelling.

3.   “My personal Philosophy is..” Companies hire athletes – not shortstops. This line indicates your position as a thinker, not just an employee.

4.   “People who know me best say that I’m …” This response offers insight into your own level of self-awareness.

The secret is thinking how you will follow up each answer with relevant, interesting and concise explanations that make the already bored interviewer look up from his stale coffee and think, “WOW! That’s the best answer I’ve heard all day!”

No comments:

Post a Comment